Disney-comics digest #712.

Larry Gerstein gerstein at math.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 7 23:08:10 CEST 1995

        REGARDING SCROOGE'S SCOTTISH ACCENT:
        Here's a DUCKBURG TIMES transcript from a discussion panel at the
1976 NEWCON -- an interview Barks and John Stanley gave to Bruce Hamilton
and Russ Cochran.  The questions given to Barks were written down in the
audience and passed down to the podium where they were read to him.  One of
them was:
        "Everyone knows what Donald Duck sounds like.  What did you think
Uncle Scrooge would sound like?"
        To which Barks replied:
        "Oh, I guess an old Scotchman.  One that rolled his "r's" a lot..."
 Barks goes on to mention that he once heard some Scots talking to each
other and couldn't understand it;  I have a hunch this must have been
Gaelic!
        Anyway, I think this settles what kind of accent the adult U$ has.
Per, can you stick it on the WWW-page?

        WES:
        I pointed out that WDC&S "will only be able to handle two" Don Rosa
stories as three-part serials each year.  And you said:
>As a consumer, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT!!  What are they
>thinking over there?
        They're thinking, I can only imagine, that the others will go into
UNCLE SCROOGE and UNCLE SCROOGE ADVENTURES, of course.  With the exception
(for now) of "War of the Wendigo," I don't think Gladstone is going to NOT
print some Rosa stories just because they can't fit them in WDC&S...!  Rosa
sells better than anything for them.

        I'll be back...

        David Gerstein
        "Have a chestnut, boys! ... OW!"