Disney-comics digest #724.

Mike Pohjola mikep at freenet.hut.fi
Sun Jul 16 22:19:59 CEST 1995

DAN:
>I'm pleased that you agree with me, but the example you're using
>doesn't make that clear. I don't know what reason the girl had to put

	Hmm.. You're right, sorry. And the whole idea of giving such an
example instead of just a simple one was pretty bad. It's just that for
some reason I've been feeling like talking (writing) a lot lately. The
length of my own messages surprises me sometimes!

>Yeah, I agree that Barks gave them some kind of personality. But I
>think some recent (Danish) stories make them too "stereotypical" (is
>that the right word?). Now you have a hungry one, a smart one, etc. I
>don't think they're very "human" that way.

	In my story they are still _the_ original Beagleboys, but in the
first panel one is eating, one is reading a newspaper and one is lifting
weights. They are in a kitchen of a small two room apartment. (in was
always pretty stupid to me that poor people as they are supposed to be
would live in an idyllic country-side villa) And they do things in a different
way, but that doesn't affect the story itself.

>  I agree with the above , I'd rather see one good collective
>personality than three cliches . Three cliches might be good enough for
>Ducktales but not in any of the 'serious' disney comics . On the other
>hand , if you have three GOOD characters , then that's excellent !

	Good point, thank you. I just thought somebody once stated here
that "Hungry", "Strong" and "Boss" were the 'canon' alignments. So I
used them. It's no big problem changing them though. So you think that
I still _could_ give them personalities if I just did it good. I had this
same problem when I thought about making a Mickey Mouse story. But it was
even worse with him, because he is the "Mister Average" of Disney universe.
He has a girl-friend and a good job. He had no 'bad' personal traits such
as temperament or lazyness or bad luck or jealousy or some others that make
Donald Duck so enjoyable as a character. He is simply the peaceful, but not
too peaceful, generally quite curious guy with some great stories written
for him. If Mickey was a really smart-aleck little person as he looks like,
then he and Goofy would make a great couple. What was I talking about? Oh
right, the Beagle personalities... I think I have something in mind. Thanks.

DON:
	I just got my hands on an old issue of a Finnish Disney comics where
the family-tree made by Carl Barks for you was published. You made a change
to your family-tree! Gus Goose was originally Donald's cousin, NOT second
cousin! And Grandma Duck had two daughters in that version. Btw, has Barks
ever made any mentions about existance of Matilda McDuck? Did you create her?
If, then why?

--

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie