Disney-comics digest #739.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Jul 31 14:41:00 CEST 1995

>       Hi! I just got back from my annual trip to the San Diego Comicon to
buy old funnybooks for my vast, whizbang collection. The Eisner Awards (the
American comic book "Academy Awards") were held there as usual, and you
folks might be proud of the results...
        Todd Klein won (as always) the Best Letterer award, and since he
stated in his brief acceptance speech that it was his work lettering "The L
& T of U$" that he was proudest of, I think we can claim that as an award
for $crooge.
        And speaking of "The Life and Times of Uncle $crooge", it won the
award for "Best Serialized Story" of the year, the most important category
of the 6 awards it was nominated for. In fact, "Best Serialized Story" is
the penultimate award of the evening -- only the award for "Best Single
Issue" is considered a higher award for the year(1994). I was stuck right
beside Will Eisner in the group photo for the winners -- if you see that
photo somewhere, see if I don't look mildly thunderstruck by the surprise of
actually winning!
        $crooge was nominated for 6 different awards, more than ANY other
work for 1994, and we got two of the six. But the "Lo$" winning is better
for gaining the Old Master's Ducks attention than would be me winning for
"Best writer-artist" or "Cover Artist" or so on, since this award will lead
interested readers straight to UNCLE $CROOGE and Disney comics rather than
have them wondering "Who the #%&$@ is Don Rosa?"
        But here's the award plaque -- I'll hold it up to the computer
screen and you can all take a look. (Clank).
        Anyway, I STILL find it hard to believe that a Disney comic won such
an important award in the Eisners. As poorly as these Disney comics sell and
as little attention as they get in America, I'm just so tickled to see
$crooge getting this sort of an honor! What a moment!
        Happy day. Happy day.