Some remarks on Lo$

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Tue Jun 20 01:05:02 CEST 1995

Hi,

I just reread Lo$ and have a few questions and remarks. I know some of these
might have been answered/discussed before, but please don't get too upset :-)

For norwegians only: Is there any D.U.C.K in the first panel of chapter 8 in
the norwegian version? I don't want to know where it is if there is one, but
if there isn't I don't want to spend any more time looking for it!

- I guess it's no coincidence that the poem used in the norwegian version in
the poetry part of the highland games is from Scotland's national poet:
Robert Burns (translated to norwegian)? If it is, the original should be
something like: "O, my luve is like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in
June." (No spelling mistakes in luve here, this is quoted from the book: The
essential Burns, and I think it's the original dialect).

- A curiosity for scandinavians concerning that very same poem by Burns. The
well known Evert Taube's song: "Min alskling, du er som en ros" is an almost
direct translation of that poem. You can even sing Burns' original text to
Taube's melody with only minor modifications to the rythm. I don't know if
that's a well known fact and if Taube ever pointed it out himself, but at
least I have never heard it anywhere. If you compare them, there is no doubt
about it, though. That brings me to a question here: did the swedish version
use the words from Taube's song? I'll check some day if the norwegian
version comes from one of the published translations of Burns' poems or not.

- Anyone who'd enjoy a real juicy poem should check out Burns' "Tam o'
Shanter", BTW (or the excellent norwegian translation by Hartvig Kiran)

- The scene where U$'s father passes away is the most touching I've ever
seen in a comic! I want to go away like that, too!

- Is the "Voodoo hoodoo"-story published in Norway? I am getting quite
curious about what parts are Barks' and what parts are Rosa's.

- Has anyone (except Don :-) ever made a compilation of what stories are
mentioned in one way or another in Lo$? I'd like something like a list in
order of the pages of Lo$ where I can see which stories relate to the page
and where I can find the stories. And then read the whole Lo$ again while
reading each "original" story in the progress (and of course the wonderful
ODaDaD). I understand you italians will get all this compiled into some sort
of huge library? Lucky you!

Well, that's all for now, folks!

Knut Hunstad