Hard Haid Moe (further confirmation of name)

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Thu May 18 09:50:56 CEST 1995

David gerstein:

>       This morning, I was looking through the index of post-1950s
> American Disney comic writers that's in Alberto's _Disney Index_ Vol. 2.
> The listing for Dick Kinney mentioned that he worked with Al Hubbard to
> create the following characters for the Studio Stories:
>
>       Fethry Duck
>       Hustler Duck (?)
>       Hard Haid Moe
>       Tabby (Donald's cat)
>       Double-O Duck
>       Mata Harrier (Double-O Duck's secretary)
>       Belle Duck (?)

Dick Kinney, eh? Any further info about him? If he really did create
all the above it would be *very* interesting!

But what's this... Al Hubbard co-created H.H.Moe? Really? All Moe stories
I've seen were drawn by Strobl, except one which was by Pete Alvarado.

And who is Double-O Duck? He appears in the interlingual guide, so
*someone* must have encountered him...

Never heard of Hustler either, nor that "annoying person with very
round thick glasses" that Harry suspects he is.

>       Of course, DD has a white cat named Tabby in the 1946 story
> "Singapore Joe" (although he's changed color slightly in some of the
> reprints of the story).  Isn't the cat in these Scrooge-newseditor
> stories just this same old feline?

Naah, they don't look the same and more importantly this Tabby is
a much more developed character than the one in "Singapore Joe" which
was just another cat.

The S-coded Tabby doesn't think too highly about Fethry, a feeling he
(she?) expresses in bitingly ironic thoughts.

Btw, I don't think I've seen Tabby appear in any *newspaper* story.

/Anders