Disney-comics digest #847.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed Nov 15 02:36:08 CET 1995

	GEIR:
	The cover "Mouse Removal Project" (US 281) also includes
Mickey.  His silhouette appears on the plans Scrooge is carrying, as
if he were the mouse to be removed (of course, it's a different rodent
that Scrooge is actually preparing to do in).
	I always enjoy looking for MM in Rosa's stories.  In LO$ 7, I
imagine that the dreamtime wall shows Mickey because somewhere on it,
MM's life story is traced the same way Scrooge's is.  ;-)  I still
want to see Don do a Mickey story, but I guess I'll have to settle for
teaching myself some facsimile of Don's style and then trying to do
Mickey stories in it.

	Pat Block's first published Mickey appears on the current DDMM
3, although I kinda wish they'd waited until the next issue so it
could be used to promote an Egmont Mickey story.  It's a beautiful
cover, though.
	Pat will be doing some more Mickey art in the future, notably
the covers to some WDG issues and perhaps a story or two.

	DONALD DUCK 294
	is finally here in Williamstown this week.  "Persistent
Postman" was far better than I remembered it, with wonderful timing
and some very nice wording.  Donald's rhyming soliloquy as he swoops
about in the helicopter is sure what makes Barks Barks.  The notion of
letting the eagle voice his thoughts makes him somewhat sympathetic,
really enlivening what would be a standard
Donald-vs.-recalcitrant-animal situation.  The only thing I don't
really care for is the art.  While deft, it lacks intensity until the
last few pages and everything seems very underplayed.  The ducks are
viewed from a distance with fairly neutral expressions.  But then,
even Barks had his bad days, and he had PLENTY of good ones.
	The backup strips in DD 294 begin to encompass those which are
in FOUR COLOR 4, the first Dell DD comic book in normal size.  (I do
have a copy of this, but it's only fragmentary, with many random
unnumbered pages missing, so I can't index it for the list.)

	David Gerstein
	<96dag at williams.edu>
	"Have a chestnut, boys! ... OW!"