Pinocchio

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun Nov 26 14:39:35 CET 1995

JAKOB:

> I'm confused. Me and my familly sat down in the sofa this evening to watch
> Disney's masterpiece Pinocchio. Suddenly the movie had just ended and I
> sat there - we all sat there - very confused. I was certain of that I had
> missed something. (...) shouldn't there be more?

Disney-versions of already existing stories are often slightly
different. They make they're own interpretation out of it. (Which
is mostly the case with movies adapted from stories). So, you've seen
the complete movie but not the complete original story.

Did you ever compare the Disney-version of "Alice in Wonderland" with
the original stories "Alice in Wonderland" and "Alice through the
Looking-glass" by Lewis Caroll? There were a lot of complaints by
people that the Disney-version didn't reach the much higher level of the
original story with all it's wordplays (although it contained some
very beautiful pictures).

Now people are complaining that "Pocahontas" doesn't follow the
original story very closely. For example, Pocahontas was only 12 years
old according to the story. Well, you can see clearly she isn't that
young in the movie. ;-)

The only solution with movie-versions seems to be appreciating a movie
how much it enjoyed you, *not* how accurate it was to the book.

Greetings,

--- Daniel