Gladstone sleeze

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Sun Oct 8 16:06:51 CET 1995

Augie De Blieck Jr. wrote:
> I wasn't the only one who found the reprint of The Cold-Blooded Penguin a
> little bit odd.  I had a private e-mail or two expressing
> dissatisfaction.  Others publicly questioned its inclusion.  I was
> sickened to find it was included only so Bruce Hamilton could sell the
> original art from it.

This isn't the first time Hamilton has done this.  Several years ago,
he published a trade paperback of Otto Messmer-Joe Oriolo Felix the Cat
comics.  At the back of the book, there was an add for all the original
artwork that had been used.

There were originally supposed to be three color volumes.  After volume
one went on sale, vols. two and three were supposed to come out in black and
white, but they never came out at all.  My guess is that the sale of the
book and artwork didn't justify the expense of further volumes.

It's clear that Hamilton purchased the Penguin artwork, recouped some of his
investment by printing it and hoped to make a profit by selling it.
How many other Disney collectors can cut their costs by legally
publishing Disney artwork? Hamilton is in a unique position and he's
taking advantage of it. Besides providing content for his magazines, he
gets a free catalog and ad out of it.  We've yet to see if he was successful
at selling the art.  If he was, expect to see more of this.