Epic Hero Final

Tommy Tran ttt_42 at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 19 01:13:50 CET 1995

This is the last part of my essay, consisting of two paragraphs (was so close to
the end, I just decided to send both.  The last installment will come tomarrow,
which is the Bibliography, in case any one is interested.
	Joseph Campbell describes the standard path of the mythological hero in
three parts: separation, initiation, and return (Campbell 30).  Scrooge McDuck
can truly have been said to undergo this initiation into the exhaled rank of
hero.  His separation, the push from his ancestors; his initiation, his final
success as he washes mud from a rock to discover gold; his return is his return
to Castle McDuck.  Scrooge McDuck has successfully navigated the rites of
passage required of a hero.  But, a epic hero is different in the respect that
he must be seen as "representative of his or her culture" (Merchant).  Again,
Scrooge delivers.  For what can be more capitalistically American than an
immigrant who starts with a dime to his name, and becomes the richest duck in
the world.  He represents the best and sometimes the worst of America.  In
Bark's, "Only a Poor Old Duck", Scrooge explains to his nephews why he loves
his
money so much:
	"'Well, all this money means something to me! Every coin in here has a
        story . . . You'd love your money, too, boys, if you got it the way I
        did -- by thinking a little harder than the other guy -- by jumping a
        little quicker --" (Barks 35-36)
Scrooge made his money through hard work, and he values it all.  Some would say
too much, as he only pays his nephew Donald 30 cents an hour to help treasure
hunt around the world.  At his worst, Scrooge sees all things as an exploit for
making money.  At times it is evident that Scrooge has a romantic strain in
him,
for as his sits eating his dinner during the Yukon winter:
	"This frontier is like so many others I've known -- unspoiled by the
        ravages of man, still glorious and unsullied!  A man can face the world
        on his own terms here!  Enjoy the fruits of his own labor!  Live in a
        paradise of tranquillity and beauty and . . ." (Rosa 8:16)
Scrooge will never admit to this side of himself, and he continues: "BAH!
Sucker
Talk!  When I find gold, I'll drain the creek with hydraulic mining, blast the
mountains apart, and feed the trees to lumber mills"  (8:16).  We might boo
Scrooge, if we weren't too busy laughing at him.  Sometimes, thought, his good
side does get the best of him, even if it doesn't seem that way.  In "Back To
the Klondike", Scrooge seems dead intent on collecting on a one thousand dollar
debt (compounded daily, totaling 1 billion dollars) from an old acquaintance,
Glittering Goldie.  Though he gets a faraway look in his eyes when he mentions
her name, he swear that he is thinking of the billion dollars.  In the end, he
forces her into a contest to absolve the debt, and loses.  In the last
frame, we
learn, despite all his indignation, that Scrooge threw the contest ("Back to
the
Klondike" 7-8).  For some reason or another, people who read Scrooge comics
can't help an ever so slight sense of awe for a duck who made his money "by
being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties!  And I made it
square" ("Only a Poor Old Man" 1)! Scrooge appeals to the American pioneer
spirit, and the sense of fair play that the generation that first read him grew
up with.
	Despite literary comparison and analysis, the true test of an epic is
its durability in time.  Scrooges mark shows up in many place.  Film director
George Lucas drew much of inspiration and style from the pages of Carl Bark's
comics (Cocks 78).  In an excerpt from Paul Preuss' "Starfire" novel, a den is
describe containing all manner of items including "gold coins framed under
glass
. . . books about crystal, about china, about antique furniture . . . and Uncle
Scrooge comic books -- about every class of object worth collecting" (Cross
32).
 But the most telling evidence comes from the fans who devotedly write to the
comic's mail page; from a fan who once told Barks: "I just want to shake your
hand and tell you that you made my childhood much happier with your stories"
(Boatner A-57); and of all the parents who fondly remember the comic, and thank
Carl Barks and Uncle Scrooge for helping their children to start reading all
those other epics.