Pocket books

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Thu Sep 7 17:23:52 CEST 1995

FRANK:
Those pocket books with reprints of Italian stories seem to be translated
all over Europe. In Holland, they worked from the German version (probably
because the editor at the time, early 70s, knew German, but not Italian).

For one Dutch pocket book, they used material of several German "Lustige
Taschenbuecher", including the 'glue' by Perego. That way they could
have both Donald and Mickey stories in the same pocket book.
The 'glue' pages didn't make much sense, of course. I always found it
odd (I was 10 at the time) to find Goofy as a bull-fighter in several
different pocket books.

BTW: We (on this list) once declared Giuseppe Perego to be the worst
Disney comics artist ever. His 'glue' art makes the worst 'real' story
look good.

The Dutch had 11 pocket books in the first series (1969-1976). In 1977,
they started a 2nd series with over 80 pocket books. When the books
became all-colour, they again started with a #1. They issue 8 books
a year now, so they must skip some of the (monthly) German books.

Most of the time, the Dutch pocket books get all new covers, by
Michel Nadorp and others.

The translations are quite bad. Or I should say: the translations were
quite bad when I bought and read the books (which must have been over 15
years ago). For instance, secundary characters like Rockerduck and
Eega Beeva got different names in different books.

--Harry.