Disney-comics digest #783.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Sep 13 14:26:00 CEST 1995

FRANK:
        Looks like others have told you the scoop on Marco Rota and Ferioli.
        As for Egmont's coloring, it's not that they don't have limitless
computer capabilities, and it's not that it's actually "bad". It's just that
it's done by computer technicians who are trying to get the job done as
quickly and simply as possible. As near as I can tell, there is never any
thought given to doing anything but filling spaces with color. No thought to
improving the look of the scene. No lighting effects, no dramatic
techniques. I always think of the scene in the "Lo$" where $crooge is
drowning at the bottom of a stagnant, peaty moat in the middle of a rainy
night. In the Gladstone version it was dark and murky. In the Egmont version
they just colored it like he was on dry land at high noon. The difference is
that at Gladstone the stuff is colored by artists who take time and effort
to improve the look. And those same comments apply to the lettering. At
Gladstone the sound effects are very creative and special... at Egmont the
sound effects and ancient signs and everything else are typeset or scribbled
in with a black marker pen. Egmont is simply a company trying to put out a
weekly comic as fast as possible -- Gladstone's product probably would look
the same if they didn't have as much time as they do.
        One interesting thing about Egmont/Gladstone coloring where Egmont
is superior: in a very complex scene with lotsa Rosa details, Gladstone will
simply color everything one color since it's too difficult to do it all by
hand. At Egmont where it's all done on computer, they simply blow that area
up and color it at a larger scale -- though it's still the same, uninspired
coloring, it still looks better than all orange or all yellow.

DAVE R.:
        And now I have an extra copy of the French PICSOU that I've been
discussing. What is your address... I will send it to you.
        Oh, fer Pete's sake -- the Egmont dinner! I even remember you and I
ate the same dish. Whatsamattah with me?! Gad!