An original version of "Darkest Africa"?

Arthur de Wolf wolfman at pi.net
Mon Sep 18 08:40:51 CEST 1995

Hi!

DANIEL:
> The last two decades the stories were reprinted *redrawn* (by other
> artists), because there seem to be problems with reprinting the
> original art.

I have here a copy of the French 'Le Journal de Mickey'. In this
comicbook, I found a version of 'Darkest Africa' that wasn't
redrawn. When I compared it with the original giveaway, I saw
that it was exactly the same! The version of 'Darkest Africa' in
this 'LJdM' is extremely bad though! Some panels were cut in
half, and every page has 4 panels horizontally and 6 panels
vertically. (If I remember well!). I examined the two versions
very close, and I'm 99.9% sure, that they are the same!

Every leaf of every tree is the same. Every line is the same.
It's a shame, that the art looks so bad. Sometimes a cannibal
looks like one black spot, with two white eyes in it. The art
is that bad!

Maybe they made a color-photocopy, and printed that! Or is
that not possible?

-- Arthur.