digests 782 - 786

Frank Stajano fms at cam-orl.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 18:58:36 CEST 1995

DANIEL:

Well done for your list! Very nice thing to do. I suggest that, if you
can, you also put the date (at least the year) next to the issue
number, to make consultation easier.

HARRY:

> ["Cash Flow"] was reprinted in Gladstone's giant album #28 (the
> _first_ special Rosa album; a lot of people seem not to know this
> album exists).

Sounds like a good start for me: how do people in Europe normally get
these comics? Your local shop imports them? You go to the U.S. from
time to time? You have friends who do? Or you write to Gladstone and
ask for back issues by mail?

JORGEN:

(about the Rota story D94046) Do you know what languages these new
Rota stories have been published in?

DAVID:

Congratulations for being published in Italy too! I'll make a note of
the issue you mentioned-- see if I can find it next time I go back.

HARRY:

Thanks for the info on Marco Rota. It's really good news to hear that
he's doing new work! I hope these stories will someday be reprinted in
a language I can read...  Thanks for telling me about Ferioli,
too. Your advice on reading more Danish and Dutch stuff is very
sound-- however my ignorance prevents me from going for the
originals. Any suggestions for reasonable translations? Are there any
which credit the authors?

DON:

Interesting stuff, this business about the Egmont colours vs the
Gladstone colours! I assumed that the artist would give directions to
the colorist -- obviously it is not the case. I also thought that an
artist would draw a scene expecting a certain kind of colouring style
to be applied to it: for example, I assume that one would draw rather
differently when targeting the "shaded millions of colours" rendering
style than when targeting the "flat colours" style. Do you give any
thoughts to this? Or did you have to give up on that because of what
you just told me?

JORGEN:

I sympathise with your "non-disclaimer". I think it's best to allow
oneself the freedom to say what one thinks; a polite censorship of the
bad comments means that nobody will know if you say it's OK because
you liked it or because you didn't want to upset the author. As long
as the criticisms are not offensive, they can be constructive and
helpful.

RAUL:

I agree with Harry: no binaries to the list please. Make them
available for ftp somewhere (assuming that the legal side is sorted
out).

FABIO:

Thanks for your welcome, but most of all thanks for your IF article
which told me about the existence of this list (and of Don Rosa)!  Sad
to hear that you, too, were disney-raped by your parents...  Can you
give me some issue numbers of Mega Almanacco with Rota stories?
Coming back to the subject of authors that are published in a language
that is different from their own: do you know how it works for Rota?
Does he send the story in Italian to Egmont? And what happens when the
story is reprinted in Italy? Do they get the original script back (one
would hope so) or do they retranslate from Danish? :-)

    Frank   (Filologo Disneyano)