digests 782 - 786

deckerd@agcs.com deckerd at agcs.com
Mon Sep 18 19:59:48 CEST 1995

Frank said:

> Coming back to the subject of authors that are published in a language
> that is different from their own: do you know how it works for Rota?
> Does he send the story in Italian to Egmont? And what happens when the
> story is reprinted in Italy? Do they get the original script back (one
> would hope so) or do they retranslate from Danish? :-)

The scripts Rota sends to Egmont are in Italian. However, the house
language at Egmont is English, not Danish. All the scripts have to
be in English so they can be translated into other languages by the
various different publishers. It's easier for, say, the Brazilian
publisher to find somebody to translate a story from English to
Portuguese than it is Danish to Portuguese. I've translated several
Rota scripts from Italian to English for Egmont at the first-draft
stage just so the editors know what they have and can suggest
changes or whatever before Rota does the final art. What happens
when the story appears in Italy...well, that's a mystery someone
else will have to elucidate!

--Dwight Decker