DCML digest, Vol 1 #13 - 17 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Dec 8 13:38:56 CET 1999

From: Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Di=F6s?= <pyas at swipnet.se>
Subject: Re: Kalevala meter

(>>> BTW, "runometer" is called "rune-o-meter" in English.)

>>>Thanks for confirming that. I'll take your word for it...

No, don't do that so fast! He might have been saying that just because *I*
used that word, and he figured I knew what I was talking about. As far as I
know, the word "rune-o-meter" is my own creation... it's not in my
unabridged dictionary (but neither is "runometer"). But you (Stefan) had
used "runometer" in your e*mail to me when you wrote to me while working on
your translation, and I wanted to use it here rather than say something
like "the 8-beat-per-line-style-of-the-Kalevala" constantly. But if I'd
said "runometer", people would have thought I was referring to a speed
gauge worn by sprinters. So I said "rune-o-meter" as in the "meter"
(rhythm/tempo) "o" the "rune"... as in "barrel o' monkeys". As in.....
Don't worry -- when I'm President of Finland I'll issue a mandate that will
straighten all this out.