Knut and Soeren

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Sat Dec 18 13:36:15 CET 1999

Knut Hunstad

> > > His name in danish is Hr. Naevenyttig, mening something
> > like annoying
> Well, I guess I shouldn't be disputing danish with a dane, but I am
actually
> _born_ in Denmark, so I'll risk it :-) And we have the same word in
> norwegian also...
You're welcome

> Naevenyttig doesn't _directly_ mean annoying! A direct translation
would be
> something like: [Someone with] "useful fists".
Yes, you're right that would be the original meaning of the word.

> Not in the meaning of a good
> fighter, but beeing good at fixing things, using hammer and saw etc.
The
> opposite of having "ten thumbs", (which I'm not sure is used in
english, but
> I guess it's quite clear what it means?).
Clumse? (clumsy)

> If the word "Naevenyttig" is used in danish about someone "annoying"
(which
> I wouldn't say is so in norwegian, where the word is used in a
positive
> sense [there might of course be local variations of this in Norway,
but I'm
> not aware of any!]), it could be explained by noting that someone
very
> "Naevenyttig" might be annoyingly effective keeping house and garden
in
> order, in the eyes of a normal person (or particularly in the eyes of
> person like DD...).
You're right, it has that other meaning in DK, and it sure is the
reason they
named him that. Even his looks is pretty annoying/iritating.
I of course try to make my translating understandable for the others,
but
thanks for correcting me. We ought to make a mailing-list to talk of
differences
between the scandinavian languages cause it seems there are many!

SOREN
> And what stories are you talking about this time, AC?
This question might actually be pretty naevenyttig;-)
The same one as before...
S 63025        9                   DD  Hjælpsomme naboer
(Helpfull neighbours) [xapp:DD,HDL,GO,DA,MI,PL,MM,MF]

AC