Steamboat Willie and Black Pete

Rodney w bowcock jr. rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 20:56:37 CET 1999

I for one would love to see the old Black Pete back....with or without
the pegleg.  That part doesnt really matter to me.  In recent years there
have been stories written that have attempted to bring the "spunk" back
to Mickey, often using characters from Gottfredson stories, and while
these stories are worlds better than many newer Mouse stories, they seem
to be missing something, at least the American printings seem to.  (No
offense is meant if anyone on the list has been involved with production
of these stories.....I've been known to put my foot in my mouth at times)
 It seems to me that the problem is that these stories are generally very
short, and Gottfredson's stories, when printed in book form, almost
always are *much* longer, usually around 70 pages or more.  I think
giving Pete a more traditional attitude toward Mickey would be a step in
the right direction.  Of course, then again, this new story and attitude
is very interesting, but overall it seems to have limited potential.

On another note, I think Steamboat Willie (the cartoon, not the person
who posts on this list:-)) is included in the video "The Spirit Of
Mickey".  But I've not actually seen the video, only the box.  Has anyone
seen this?  Does it print *full* cartoons, or is it simply a compilation
of clips?  Many videos of the classic shorts are very hard to find these
days.  It seems that with Mouseworks and all, they would be re-releasing
some of these.
~~~Rodney.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.