"Incident at McDuck Tower"

Jakob Soederbaum jakob.soederbaum at mailbox.swipnet.se
Sun Apr 16 22:49:22 CEST 2000

Don:

> This showed someone's misunderstanding of logic and timing in sequencial
> storytelling. That why it puzzled/worried me more than some other sort of
> goof... thinking that any of this would seem "right"
> to any comics editor.

Hmm, alrightythen. ;-)  But don't you think someone was helping you get
another gag, instead of just establishing someone *did* shut the window,
which the reader already is too aware of? Insider-jokes are always great
- *if* the reader is aware of such matters. A superior example is the
story in which Byron shows up in the door of a comics shop in one
pannel. That was rich. But when there is room for another gag, like here
in the "Incident"- story (that one even can sense is coming from the
noticed the window was shut by his secretary... NO, if *I'd* been
reading that script before the printing I would've insisted on
re-writing that. The more gags the better, I think. Usually, your
stories *are* jam-packed with gags -and that's the way it should be.
Don't miss out on one. ;-)

Btw, in the D&$ publication, the dialogue is changed to be a little more
faithful to your script, however not exact:

- Did I just hear you shut the window, Gretta!
- Yes, it was getting too drafty!

Just for your information.

Also, I think your original words in the end-scene are better as a gag,
but is it really good as the final line of the story? The re-written one
is worthless as a gag of its own, but it does sum up the entire story in
a good way, doesn't it? But of course it's always annoying when someone
makes changes to a script that, if I understand it correct, already was
approved.

In the Swedish translation U$ says... hmm, it's quite hard to translate
directly, as it's a Swedish proverb. But the meaning is something
between "Mind your own business, will you!" and "Why are you always so
interested in what *I'm* doing?".

All the best,
/Jakob Soederbaum

http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-47991/DonRosa/TOCIVARD