What would U$ Money Bin Smell Like? We May Find Out!

F. A. Elliott eliot508 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 01:30:28 CEST 2000

Strange but true. A company named Digiscents will
start bringing scent related products and software to
computers and internet in the next half year. They
plan to make it possible for webpages, tv, movies,
video games, e-mails, and etc to have actual scents. A
device the size of a pencil sharpener will emit smells
everytime code programmed into the software, webpage,
or tape, film, or signal instructs it to. The smells
will last 1-2 seconds., which brings me to my point?

What would Uncle Scrooge's money bin smell like? Its
contents been locked up in there since...what 1908?
Then, again, the ben's very well filtered since
Scrooge takes regular swims through his calvade of
coins. I imagine Donald gets to fumigate it every so
often too.

Seriously, comic companies will eventually use this
technology, and technology it is. The same people who
started Digiscents also mapped out the first human
gene in the genome project. Scientists, professors,
leading researchers from around the world are joining
them to make this a reality. But, it's already is a
reality.

Sure the smells will lack that true natural smell at
first; although, I think it's only a matter a time
before people using the web, will not only be
enlightened with ads, but inclined to rush out to say
McDonalds (heh, I just realized I inadverdently made a
funny - McDonalds - ha ha) and buy that new duck (I
mean fish - now I'm doing it on purpose) sandwich
because they smelled it first on the internet.

I don't want to get off topic here, so, my point is
that it will be possible for Disney stories on the web
to have smells. Artists and writers could even suggest
where and when they'd want a smell to occur. I think
that's fascinating. I work in local access tv as a
producer, and I've already made contacts with people
abroad and at Digiscents who want to develope ways to
bring scent to local access programs through the
internet and to webpages in general.

As a fan of comics though I've been thinking "what
stories" would be the best ones to smell? In this case
what Disney stories? I imagine in a few years they'll
be giving out "Best use of Scent in a Comic" at the
Eisner, Harvey, or etc awards. It just amazes me! I
guess we could also find out what Donalds icecream
floats smell like. Then, again, do we really "need"
smell in this medium? We'll soon find out.

F.A. Elliott
812-467-0278.

=====
The 'one' who has a finger on 'it'... scratches against the mahogany lining of a coffin crying, "I am Jonah! I am Jonah! Spit me back out so I may see and feel the light of day again." And, the levithan does not heed for it knows every great epic must come to an 'end.'
A tasty morsel known as... "understanding."  (F.A. Elliott)