closure

Becca Ridout skyrat13 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 20:25:34 CEST 2000

I find the whole idea of needing "Closure" for the comic book universe to be
complete rather disturbing... I agree much more with Clement's opinon of the
situation, and I think he stated the situation of Barks' and Rosa's
universes perfectly...

Man, I almost cried when I read the issues of 'Life and Times...' in which
Scrooge's parents died. I really wouldn't be able to handle something
happening to a regular disney character.

I really hated even seeing a 'not-too-distant-future' version. When the show
"Quack Pack" came on, and tried to present a teenie-bopper version of Huey,
Dewey and Louie, I was SO mad!!! It was TERRIBLE. It really frustrated me,
because the audience of Disney comics is unfortunately small (well, in the
US anyway) so the vast majority of people take what's on tv as the "real
HD&L", completely missing all the wonderful depth to their characters...
sigh... i give up...

>At least we got to see what Superman's death may
>have been like. At the end of Funeral For a Friend Pa
>Kent drops dead from a heart attack, due to all the
>stress of losing Clark, while Martha is wailing,"Why?"
>Exactly, "Why?" I think it's just a wonderful moment,
>and, heh, it ends with a sunset.

Ouch. I thought that the whole "Death of Superman" was a horrible idea. It
wasn't even original. There were at least 8 or so "death of superman" issues
back during the 60's and 70's...on top of that, it wasn't even correct.
Superman's parents died when he was just a teenager. Ma and Pa Kent
contracted some weird disease from outer space and died in an issue of
"Superboy" (back when Curt Swan was in charge and superboy meant the real
childhood stories of superman, and not some clone or android or
whatever-the-heck DC has done with him now...). I'm pretty sure that that
was a real story, and not one of the "imaginary novels" they occasionally
did, because it remains consistant with all of my silver age superman comic
books. I don't have a single issue of Superman in which ma and pa kent
appear with Superman as an adult...

Anyway, I'm sure the vast majority of people on this list don't care at all
about DC comics...so I guess I'll stop raving now...

rebecca

"I was down for a while...but I'm ok now"