Barks a fan of Jack Benny?

Tryg Helseth tryg at statease.com
Fri Dec 1 14:39:03 CET 2000

RODNEY:

>Does anyone know if Carl Barks was a fan of the Jack Benny radio program?
> Like Scrooge, Jack Benny was a very cheap character (someone once said
>that they saw him squeeze a nickel so hard that when he opened his hand
>there was only a needle....) and (very similar to the money bin) kept his
>life savings in a vault in his basement that was guarded by a polar bear
>(named Charmichael).

And don't forget the guard, Ed, who obviously hadn't been out of the vault for years.  There was that one episode where Benny mentioned his car to Ed to which Ed replied, "Car?"   Benny went on to explain what a car is and how they had really replaced the horse.  To this Ed replied, "Horse?"

Considering Jack Benny's popularity, it is hard to imagine that Barks would not have heard his show even if he wasn't a fan.  I hadn't thought about Benny's vault vs. Scrooge's bin, but they both are such fanciful exaggerations that just the idea of either is quite humorous.

Tryg
---
Tryg Helseth <trygve at tc.umn.edu>
"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" - The Beach Drakes