digest #342

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Dec 4 14:07:56 CET 2000

> From: Kriton Kyrimis
> Having my hands covered in
> hair grease, stepping into puddles of prune residue, and being drenched
> in snot is not my idea of a funny gag. I wonder why Don's editors didn't
> point this out to him, so that he could rewrite the gags without having
> to butcher the story to make it more palatebale.

You should know what you find disgusting, so I cannot argue with you for a
moment. Me, I found all the FART humor in Disney's own "Lion King" to be
beyond disgusting, but that's just me. And it was the Disney censor
*himself* that rewrote one of my obscure gags in "Guardians of the Lost
Library" and inserted the word "BARF" into *my* dialogue, which I found
disgusting *and* embarrassing since I got the "credit" for it.
I thought they were covered with prune goo laying on top of that giant
prune, and I saw nothing about having prune juice on you any worse than
being hit by a banana cream pie -- I intended the reader to decide for
himself what some of that goo was (chuckle). But I must say that as the
obvious lead-in to my main reason for replying to your comment -- to
correct the misconception which seems to be the main point of your comment.
That story was *not* "butchered" or censored in it's original publications
all across Europe, it appeared exactly as I created it. It was only in the
American Gladstone edition that it was cut, which is the version seen by
about 2% of all the readers of that particular story worldwide. To my
knowledge, they received no complaints from those millions of readers, but
that doesn't prove anything -- maybe it still should have been butchered?
Well, all I can say is that I'm trying to do funny comics, not "Disney"
comics. You need to decide for yourself when what I think is funny is not
what you think is funny, fair enough, and I can only hope I come out ahead
most of the time. (But I guaran-dang-tee you I'll never imitate Disney and
have a Beagle Boy FARTING all the way through a story.)