DCML digest, Vol 1 #342 - 4 msgs

Rodney w bowcock jr. rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Mon Dec 4 23:12:13 CET 2000

I was very shocked to hear Kriton, or anyone else for that matter applaud
Disney's censoring of a story.  Even if you found the gags in poor taste,
you had the option of making your own decision.  In the "land of free
speech" we weren't given the chance to decide these things for ourselves.
 Someone at Disney decided for us that it wasn't appropriate for us to
read, assuming that this was inappropriate for young children, though I
question (and have always questioned) how many children read comic books
in the USA period-much less one that costs $6.95.

Every single day I see examples of censorship of things in order to make
them "appropriate" and "suitable for all ages."  Classic comedy films,
comics, and cartoons are constantly having scenes and panels taken away
in order to make sure that no one is offended, and as a result of this,
no one is amused.

Technically, since Don's story involved *Walt Disney's* Uncle Scrooge,
they did have the right to censor the story.  But really, I don't think
it was right or fair for Don as an artist, and storyteller to have to see
his vision of the finished product mutilated.  Of course, I'm sure he's
used to it by now....................

Rodney Bowcock