Recent Digests

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Tue Dec 12 11:13:36 CET 2000

While I'm at it, let me comment on some recent messages.

Frank Stajano said:

>The interesting point for me, which I'd like to debate if I had the time,
>is the one about the editor's role. If the editor stops the author from
>doing stupid things before he does them, then it's editing (his job) and
>it's a good thing. If he okays the story and then it's later censored, it's
>bad. I think that's the core, and I agree with it, but it would be well
>worth elaborating, because the boundaries can get fuzzy.

This is a very interesting point to me, and I would also like to see it
discussed. Well, like Frank, I'm not about to start the discussion right
now, so I'll just highlight the subject once again. It's a little like
discussing the kind of "editing" I'm doing as a translator/dialog writer,
which also can be "good" or "bad" depending on how and why it's done and
what view you might have on the task of the "translator". Fuzzy boundaries
are everywhere!

And, Daniel van Eijmeren:

>In the last panel of "A Spicy Tale" (US 39), as in the CBL, Scrooge says:
>"I hope I can get this collar and chain cut off before somebody discovers
>what a fibber I am!"
>
>The lettering of "fibber I am!" looks slightly different from the rest of
>the balloon's dialogue. Is this coincidence or could there originally have
>been something else? Does the lettering look like being done by somebody
>else than Carl or Gare Barks?

I've also noticed this, as well as several other instances where the
lettering seems different. Offhand, and without any further information,
I'd say that the new lettering often looks like the one used in Tony Strobl
stories. I think it's obvious that Barks' dialog was changed now and
then... not too often, but it must have happened. I don't expect that the
original wordings can be restored, but it would be very interesting to find
out.

I think I mentioned some of these cases to the list a couple of years ago,
but nothing much came of it.

If the signature on my recent message about Barks illustrations wasn't
legible enough, it was, just like this one, from

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden