Komix #151

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Fri Dec 22 16:41:34 CET 2000

KRITON + HARRY:

> Each year, more than two billion people on the planet read Disney
> comics. It seems incredible, especially if you subtract from this number
> those who can't read or are too young or too old to read, then almost the
> entire planet is having fun with the stories about Mickey and Donald.

If I remember correctly, there is about 6 billion humans on this planet,
meaning that every third of us reads Disney Comics. This certainly sounds
more incredible than true. Harry touched this (I believe) wrong calculation,
but didn't really dig deeper into it by writing (for a different topic):

> Note the major difference between "27,000 every year" and 1,000,000 every
> *WEEK*!

You see?! Something is wrong. What does 1 million every *week* mean, does
it mean 52 million people in Finland read this every *year*? :-) If not,
why state the "every week" or "every year" then?

I think a similar mistake was made when the "two billion" figure was
calculated; some numbers was multiplied wrongly, like number of weeks times
number of published issues times whatever.

The number of people who reads Disney comics (not per year, not per anything!)
is probably much lower, I'm afraid.

Søren