Marc Davis (1913-2000)

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Fri Jan 21 20:48:51 CET 2000

Marc Davis, one of "the nine grand men (at Disney)", died this week,
at the age of 86. There's a short obituary in the January 24 (!)
issue of TIME. He helped create Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty,
Tinker Bell, and Cruella de Vil. I understand his contributions are
also evident in several classic Disney films, such as Bambi and
Alice in Wonderland.

As many of us know, Carl Barks was for several years associated
with Kathy Morby and Bill Grandey, business associates who formed
the "Carl Barks Studio", and who fondly or not so fondly also
were referred to as Carl's bodyguards. After a clarifying fall-out
in and out of court, suitably dealt with on this list a couple of
years ago, Morby and Grandy left, and went on to establish a very
similar "Marc Davis Studio". I don't know how successful this was,
or for how long it lasted.

Davis' primary medium was the "Disney films". But I offer as
a speculative remark that without the work carried out by Marc Davis
and his most gifted associates, we would perhaps not have, or indeed
have had, Disney comics.

Nils Lid Hjort