kalevala, How to read

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Thu Jan 27 13:46:15 CET 2000

Don Rosa asks about the Translation of the IHO most important part of
Kalevala.
I'm happy to tell you that the dansih dialogue on the place you ask for
is precisely what you wrote, just translated. and very nicely
translated. the translator even put in the danish forsage, which is the
same word as you put there.

The german dialogue in the 1 panel in the last line of that page 30 of
the story talks about a heart that has waited/hoped for Scrooge's
return for a long time - Is he ready for that? No.

To return to the coloring of the german version. it looks awsome yes,
with that background, and also the colouring in general is a little
darker (paper-quality?)
The red and lightning with sometimes white spots to bring the ducks in
center is stunning, and I've only found one mistake, and I can be a
nitpicker (or whatever it's called) page 63 of the german mag 8page 32
of the story), the 3rd panel... the read, white fading to the right is
night, but to the left of the panel the white continues one milimeter
too much, and there's no fade. That's the only thing I noticed. I just
read the
verses in the german version through, and it is very nice.

BTW The kavalaeian rhytm isn't supposed to be 8-beat  by parts of
texts, but by sound? Is that right? it seems to be so in the german
version at least.

> From: fernandopventura at uol.com.br
In one of my weeklies from the end of the 50'es/beginning of 60'es
there's a christmas story, where Donald and the kids receive cards from
allover, including Jose Carioca, and I think the card includes a
drawing of a pinata, a thing that you hit on and something good comes
out.
Since then I believe he has only appeared in a mag from 1994 where he
was pictured, and referred to the original cartoon he was in.

OLE
Your theories about tracing and copying art from different story to
make
that story that we see panels from in the How to read DD...
I can follow you on the king being some pianist. he doesn't look very
royal,
except for the crown.

I was thinking about asking the danish translator of the book, Mr.
Vinterberg,
but I seem to have forgotten if he works for a newspaper or not... (If
I remembered that, i could contect the paper and ask for him)

Tryg Helseth
> Unfortunately, I don't have this in electronic form.
> I borrowed the magazine from a friend who alerted me to this story.
Okay. How new is the magazine and is it solely norwegian or english?
I ask because i could maybe contact the publisher

> Tryg
> "Maybe I'm glad; maybe I'm sad; maybe I'm just a little mad!" -Gyro
Gearloose
What a nice quote. I remember when i joined this list, and it was one
of the first questions I asked. people answered, including Stefan Dios,
and he also talked about the swedish version that sounded very funny.

HARRY
You're right that all the panels in the HTRDD look badly.. they might
be traced too, and they are most likely photo copies.
Am I right that this book was burned in Chile sometime after it was
written, because of a change of leaders?

There's also other strange mis-translations in the book. The president
of Plain Awfull asks what the ducks can learn them to highen their
morals, and HDL tell him they can teach them to obey their leaders...
In the Barks-versions it was square-dance...
Especially the barks-panels from the Vax Museum showed in the book are
badly copied and looks strange, like the chilean company published
another version of it.

The back of the danish book has one of the panels from the
revolution/king-story with green color, a sort of ad for the book.
where the king says:
Why do the natives and wilds always freely give their treasures and
valuables to the ducks from far countries?
One of the kids ask why there's no parents in his stories. (The he is
supposed to be Walt himself, who was obviously believed by the world to
draw the whole thing himself! imagine how the kids in 1966 must have
fealt... no more duck comics, cause Uncle Walt is dead... (i am quoting
some swedes here:-) and imagine people saying, because barks also
retired that year: I think the quality fell after Walt died...
the other kids ask why Donald is so keen on statues and photoalbums
(most stories in the beginning of the sixites were started with a look
in the album).
Donald asks what HDL are doing in Vietnam (is this a clue to do story
or just a reference to treasure of marco polo?) and if Walt Disney is
so innocent.

The book may say some rightfull things but they don't know much about
what they talk about, and I heard that the actual comic-reader of the
two writers has later regretted that he took part in the writing.

The danish afterword is made by the comic-critic Vinterberg, who also
made a forword for the newest reprint-book in 1999 (1950)