DCML digest, Vol 1 #199 - 3 msgs

bhc@primenet.com bhc at primenet.com
Tue Jul 18 18:47:58 CEST 2000

I wrote:

>English-language readers deserve English-language Disney comics. But
>as wonderful as it might be for some publisher to bite the bullet and
>put out English-language comics without licensed access to the major
>retail English-language markets, few publishers can afford to be that
>wonderful.

Updating what I wrote:
English-language Disney comics are, I understand, published in India
and Singapore. India makes sense, as English is a very common
language there, but English-reading fans of Don Rosa would be out of
luck; they only publish a digest-size magazine, so they gravitate
toward digest-designed material. This might also be true of
Singapore, but I don't have any info on that.

So, there would not seem to be specific prohibitions on publishing in
the English language among Disney's worldwide publishing licensees,
only geopolitical market restrictions on retail distribution. Just
how such restrictions are established and regulated I won't even dare
to guess, particularly as consistency is not a hallmark of these
activities on an international or even national scale.
--
Gary