issue numbers and disney by marvel

Rodney w bowcock jr. rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Sat Jun 3 17:12:36 CEST 2000

I think I can help w/ your questions.

The runs for Uncle Scrooge are:
1-39:  Dell
41-173:  Gold Key
174-209: Whitman
210-242 Gladstone (1st run)
243-280 Disney Comics
281-318 Gladstone (2nd run)  309-318 prestige format

Uncle Scrooge Adventures ran for 55 issues.  1-21 were during Gladstone's
first run, all the others were in the second.

Donald Duck:

FC 4 (1)-84: Dell Publishing
85-216: Gold Key
217-245: Whitman
246-279: Gladstone (1st run)
280-304: Gladstone (2nd run)

There were 2 different series of books called "Donald Duck Adventures".
The first of these was started by Gladstone and ran for 20 issues until
the end of their first run.  When Disney Comics began publishing the
books, the started the numbering over with 1.  This title (referred to as
DDA series 2) lasted for 38 issues.  When Gladstone begain publishing the
books again, they picked up their numbering from series one and published
issues 21-45.  These issues are referred to as series 3.

WDC&S

1-263: Dell
264-473: Gold Key
474-510: Whitman
511-547 Gladstone (1st run)
548-585: Disney Comics
586-633: Gladstone (2nd run) 601-633 prestige format

To answer the question about Marvel US books, in the early days of
Gladstone's second run the books were distributed to newstands (i.e.
grocery stores, drug stores etc.) by Marvel, though the books were still
published by Gladstone.  If you wanted to get your books w/ the Gladstone
logo, you had to go to a comic store, or subscribe.  I'm not sure when
this ended, but I would say about a year after the practice started.

About the book runs:  There are many more titles that existed.  Some
famous (Mickey Mouse) some not so famous (grandma duck's farm friends).
I figured these would be the most helpful titles to you.  It would take
hours to list the runs for every Disney title.  I got this info from the
Overstreet Price Guide, which has little use to me as a price guide, but
is a very valuable reference source.  It might be a good idea to pick up
one of those.

Rodney Bowcock

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.