three cubic acres

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Thu Mar 2 13:27:15 CET 2000

I find it wonderful that Barks chose "three cubic acres"
to describe the amount of money in Scrooge's bin. Since
`acre' is a two-dimensional measure, of area, it would
follow that the Ducks live in (m^2)^3-space, that is, in
some six-dimensional space. Makes sense to me.

One could invite the Duckists on our list to discuss the
peculiarities and consequences and side effects of life in
six-dimensional space. However, on this occasion I'd be happy
to have your collective expert help to check for me

. Where was Barks' first use of the "three cubic acres" of money?
. Did he stick to this later on (with reasonable consistency)?
  (I think he did.)
. I *think* this has been followed up (with _some_ consistency)
  by Norwegian translations, using "tre kubikkmaal". Where is
  the first reference to this, in the Norwegian weekly DD & Co?

Nils Lid Hjort