DuckTales

YMH@aol.com YMH at aol.com
Sun May 14 18:02:48 CEST 2000

In a message dated 5/14/00 6:00:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dcml-admin at stp.ling.uu.se writes:

<< Yes, i remember reading a two-page gag featuring Lunchbad and Gyro with a
 gag about an aeroplane Gyro invented, drawn by Van Horn. As for his one-page
 comics, i havent see it printed it here yet. Guess i was wrong about the
 Ducktales-only character there. okay, now i have look through my collection,
 now i see that he's been used in several duck stories as well. Now my
 question is, where his first appearance started? Is it from the Ducktales
 movie? or he started in a comic story first, then used in the Ducktales TV
 series?>>

Launchpad (not Lunchbad...) McQuack was created for the DuckTales TV series,
then used in some DuckTales comics and the DuckTales movie. He was also later
a regular on the DarkWing Duck TV series. Some of the DuckTales comic stories
in which he appeared were later reprinted as Uncle Scrooge stories, but they
weren't actually Uncle Scrooge stories. Hope this clears up the confusion
about that.

 > > And perhaps any of you know why they
 > > decided not to inlcude DD in the series?

Donald was deemed too valuable by the marketing department of the Walt Disney
Company as a generic cultural icon to risk his getting personality,
character, and depth on a daily series that would cause that specific version
of him to be always in the public eye and mentality. They could have found a
way to get around his speech problems if they really wanted to.