Donald Duck and His Friends

Rich xephyr at jps.net
Wed May 17 09:34:18 CEST 2000

Rich Morrissey said:
>     You [David] really know your Disney characters! But did Donald Duck
> actually appear, or was he just mentioned?

Yes, he did appear in the printed publication, though, I guess the date
needs to be changed from 1931 to 1932 for this picture:
http://www.jps.net/xephyr/rich/dzone/hoozoo/images/donald2.gif

As you can see this Donald Duck appears quite primitive when compared
to what we are used to seeing.  Even so, Donald Duck was indeed one
of Mickey Mouse's barnyard friends as early as 1931, and was depicted
in the "HooZoo" Poem in 1932.  Alliteration definitely played a big part
in the naming of these characters, but I don't think it was mere coincidence
that the cartoon star and the primitive duckling bore the same name.  I
think the list of names (including Clara Cluck, Patricial Pig, Jenny Wren
and others) was something Walt had available as a resource for "actors" to
appear in his upcoming animated films.  I believe he would pull from this
list of names as he (and Ub Iwerks, et al) would brainstorm about what the
next cartoon would be about and who would appear.  I recall reading something
to that effect for how Donald was chosen to appear in "The Wise Little Hen."
David, I'm sure, can give more insight to that process.

Rich Bellacera