Gold money

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed May 24 17:25:02 CEST 2000

HARRY FLUKS, 22 MAY 2000:

> Every country has its own traditions for Disney stories. In my country,
> coins are always yellow, and bills are green. Even if Dutch coins are
> silver and copper, and Dutch bills have all kinds of colours.

I like the gold coloured money because I find it visually more attractive.
For me, the gold colour emphasizes Scrooge's wealth.

Carl Barks' money bin paintings also use a gold colour for the money.
Besides the more wealthy look, the gold colour also gives the money bin
a 'warm' atmosphere. I think the paintings would have looked less
attractive with silver and bronze colours only.

> The money is called "Gulden" and Scrooge has a big "f" sign on his bin.
> I would be offended if the Dutch editors put a dollar sign on Scrooge's
> bin, just to please the author of the story.

I think that the general reader will find a comic more attactrive when it's
something of their own. Using the currency of the reader's country is a way
to reach that.

Still, I find it a pity that there's no European comic using the English
language. (One comic for all European countries.) Is the market really to
small for that? Or are there other problems in reaching that. License
matters, for example?

Greetings,

--- Daniel