Scrooge, Grandma, Euro and a European comic

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu May 25 15:34:18 CEST 2000

HARRY FLUKS to me, 25-05-2000:

>>> BTW, talking about traditions: in this week's Dutch weekly, Scrooge
>>> is Grandma's brother again. Now that *is* confusing...

>> Maybe a workaround could be that they only *look* at each
>> other as being sister and brother?

> That does not explain the text in the caption where it is stated that
> Scrooge *is* Grandma's brother.

Of course, my "workaround" idea doesn't change any of the stories
themselves. It's only an attempt which tries to 'explain' the confusion
caused by the different statements in stories mentioning the relation
between Uncle Scrooge and Grandma.

>> The money is called "Gulden" and Scrooge has a big "f" sign
>> on his bin.

> I just wondered (again) what the editors will do when the gulden is
> replaced by the euro.

I think that the Dutch editor will use the Euro, but I think that they will
have a lot of work in changing reprinted work from before that time.

> (Last time I wrote about this, a Scandinavian sceptic wrote "that will
> never happen" - which shows the big gaps between various European
> countries, even today...)

I also doubt if the Euro will a success. I think the people who are
responsible for a united Europe have a "just wait and see" attitude towards
the European people. And since such responsible people are known to have
made big mistakes before, I think the people simply don't trust them.

I also think that because of that attitude, a lot of people simply don't
*know* what's going on.

>> Still, I find it a pity that there's no European comic using
>> the English language. Is the market really to[o]
>> small for that?

> How many European (non-British) children like to read their comics in
> the English language?

I was thinking of some kind European Gladstone comic. Not (nescessarily)
for children, but (also) for the mature people.

BROR HELLMAN, 25 MAY 2000:

> So if anyone meets with the Egmont owners some day by coincidence,
> just tell them about my dream and say them that I immediately seek
> emplyment as their editor for that magazine.. :-)

Hey, I was first! :-)

Best wishes,

--- Daniel