Kalevala (2)

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 00:59:20 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
To: "x DCML" <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: Kalevala (2)

> Right, that was pretty dumb. It should have been:
>
> Louhi:            (like nephew Louie? or all letters pronounced?)

I'm pretty sure that the 'h' is pronunciated. Like "loo", "he", I'd say.

> Ilmarinen:      (like "ill", "marine", "hen" ?)

Then I think it'd have been spelled "Illmäriinhen". And I'm not sure that it
is possible to have an 'h' after an 'n'... Like French "île" (island),
Italian "ma" (but), French "rit" (laugh[ed]), Japanese "nen" (year), I'd
say. But I'm sure the Finns on this list will correct me...

Stefan