DCML digest, Vol 1 #474 - 8 msgs

Mike Pohjola mikep at iki.fi
Wed Apr 11 14:37:41 CEST 2001

OLE:
> We have a list member by the name of Mike Pohjola(!!)
> and I wonder if the name is the Finnish equivalent of
> "Jones" or there's some family relation or such?

It's not too common a name, but we're not related. However, whenever I try
to search for pages with my name on them I end up finding lots of pages
about the co-operative efforts of Mike Oldfield and Pekka Pohjola.

Actually on an American roleplaying on-line forum somebody assumed I used
a fake name because Pohjola is the Finnish equivalent of Jötunheim or
"whatever evil empire you prefer". He was part right, because in
Kalevala it's the place where Louhi lives in.

DON:
> I am certain that there is a proportional amount of these small golden
> coins mixed into the Bin, especially at lower levels, an amount
> proportional to their circulation as compared to all the pennies and
> nickels and dimes, etc.

"At lower levels"... That's a good point. Whatever money Scrooge made
during the 1800's would naturally be at the bottom. Then would come his
early 1900's money he made all around the world. And then on top again
would be lots of US based currency he's made after 1947. And that probably
would be mostly silver.

CHRISTOPHER:
> in the course of his day-to-day business deals, Scrooge indubitably
> has to invest money, i.e. spend money to make money. As such, wouldn't
> the contents actually change.

I have the impression that the money he has in the Bin is money he's made
himself with his own two hands. That's not the kind of money he'd
spend. But he's got lots of bank accounts with huge amounts of money, and
that he would spend.

Mike Pohjola
mikep at iki.fi            +358-50-5238399            http://www.iki.fi/mikep