Søren has a good point...

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:20:05 CEST 2001

I read the last mail from Søren Krarup Olesen. Søren, you have a very good
point.

But, I must say: When I read a story about the Ducks, I try to knit it all
together in my head. I try to get a full picture of it all together.
Therefor, it feels WRONG to BELIEVE in a story which says something opposite
than many other stories. I have to decide in my mind which version I will
believe in. One good example is the old European myth about $crooge and
Grandma being brother and sister. When I first saw Don Rosa's Duck Family
Tree, I had to decide in my mind which version I should believe in (is she
his sister or his sister's mother-in-law?). In that example, and in very
many other examples, I have decided to support the Don Rosa version. This is
because I know that Don Rosa does extremely good research on every story he
makes! Therefor, I support the Duck Family Tree. I support the entire story
"Life of $crooge". I support the fact that $crooge died in the 1960's, which
HAS TO mean that every story which contains computers, modern airplanes,
modern cars, cable TV etc. does NOT fit into MY Disney Universe! I read the
stories. I am amused by the stories. But they're fairy tales. Things that
COULD HAVE happened, but are impossible. (the same about stories with both
ducks and mice - in my head there exists no Mickey, no Goofy...)

But if the story does not break my Duck Universe picture - of course I'm
open for that the story could have happened in MY Duck Universe (the
universe inside my head)! I try not to exclude a story just because it's not
Don Rosa, but he IS the best story writer. I miss more stories about
journeys to distant countries. I miss more stories with REFERENCES to other
stories (either it is Barks, Don Rosa, Van Horn, Marco Rota or anybody). And
I miss more stories that take place in the mid-50's. This is not personal to
anybody, but that's what a story needs to become good - according to me. And
that is why so many small (Italian) creators fall in the shadows of for
example Don Rosa. Don Rosa is not good only BECAUSE he's Don Rosa! But he
amazes us again and again and again... and through history, I've found only
a few Don Rosa stories that don't fit into my Disney Universe (example:
"From Duckburg to Lillehammer" is an impossible story with the time frames I
operate with).

When it comes to new persons, it's always interesting to read about a new
character. But at the end of the story, I must decide whether this character
fits into my head. Example: I have read a few stories (I believe it is
William Van Horn?) where $crooge has an former un-known half brother. At the
end, I have decided that I can NOT believe in the "fact" that Fergus McDuck
has been cheating on his Downy. This is the kind of decisions I make every
time I read about a new introduced figure. If nothing breaks with logic, I
let the person stay in my head.

BUT; the universe in my head is in many ways similar with the Barks/Rosa
Universe. Therefor, TUSEN TAKK SØREN! I will try to become a better reader
of all Duck stories now. And I hope such things will be discussed on the
list in the future.

-olaf-