What will the future bring

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Tue Apr 17 23:35:01 CEST 2001

From: "Søren Krarup Olesen" <raptus at stofanet.dk>

> It seems as if no one really cares. New artists like the Italian
> Fabio Celoni amongst others are simply ignored even (apparently) by
the
> Italians themselves. Why is that?!

Mainly 'cause I hate Celoni's art with all my heart :-)

> One might claim, that Celoni sucks(!) well, I couldn't agree less, but
> the fact that no one on this list tells us so is strange.

Here I am! His art definitely sucks IMHO, but I don't mean by this that
he's a bad artist, at all. I just mean he'd better be drawing non-disney
comics. I guess that some of our Italian young artists would make
*great* Marvel artist (and I'm definitely thinking about Celoni when I
say this), they just can't seem to be able to draw a duck.

> In Italy we
> have at least 10 artists that produce and create art, which go far
> beyond what Rosa & Co. could ever hope to achieve in both story
telling
> and "plain" art. There is so much great art here and so much fun and
> brilliant jokes and...

Uh? 'Scuse me sir ;-), but where? 90% of the new stories produced in
Italy nowadays is crap, and there's no one who'll tell you they're not.
Still, if you're talking about the remaining 10% (that's still a damn
lot of stories, since there are so many new ones here...), well, that's
true we rarely talk about it, and a reason might simply be that they're
drowned by the low-quality stuff.

> and... but it all comes down to "what's the colour
> of money" and whether Duckburg is placed in California or Peru.

Well, I found those topics quite interesting myself, since in Italy
Duckburg and Mouseton have always been in USA (and BTW, if I'm not
mistaken, Mickey's town "Topolinia" was "made-up" in Italy... maybe in a
Scarpa's story? I don't remember... written by Guido Martina I think
anyway)

> I do
> myself find these topics interesting for academic reasons as well, but
> what happened to critisism on newer artists. Are they simply ignored,
> since they don't fit in the Rosa mainstream or what?! (Sorry, Don,
this
> has nothing to do with you personally or professionally)

No, that's got nothing to do with it. Oh well, I get a little annoyed
when I still find new stories in which they address to Grandma Duck as
if she were Scrooge's sister (I understand that there had been such
mistake in translations decades ago, but now it should have been pretty
settled that they're not related).
But besides that, no... for example I'll love forever "Storia e Gloria
della dinastia dei Paperi" a 1970 Martina/Scarpa/Carpi story in which US
was born in Klondike (!)

> Some four years back, Ole wrote to me, that the Americans should be
> excused in this context, since they never had the change to read
> stories where Scrooge's money bin was placed elsewhere, like e.g. in
the
> middle of the city and not on the hill. However, thing are not static,
> and especially not as far as Disney comics are concerned.

What do you mean "static"? In Italian stories they're all but static...
actually I do hate this lack of continuity in Italian stories, and it is
probably one of the reasons I love so much Romano Scarpa's stories...
because they have continuity. But probably you weren't talking about
this now.

> Things *do* develop, but this development is not reflected on this
> mailing list IMO. Do we have debates on new characters developed by
the
> Egmont team? Nope! Do we try to analyse or at least comment on new
> trends in comic creation. Not the slightest bit. It's all about poor
> translations or microscopic details about dates, colours, you name
it...

Well, in Italy new trends generally mean bad trends, and that's the main
reason we don't talk about'em.
Still we have good things, and good artists... Silvia Ziche for example,
but, how could we start a thread about her "Papero del Mistero". I mean
we could, but experience tells me that it wouldn't interest people so
much... well, *this* is quite strange, I know.

BTW, talking about new Italian trends... no one seems to have said
anything at all yet about the new Italian Disney comic "Witch", a comic
that has the "disney" brand, but has no ducks, has no mice, has no
animals at all, just has a few human girls quite manga-style in it.
(Actually its target is girls)

And it's made by one of those artists I don't like at all when they're
doing ducks, Alessandro Barbucci... remember his "Paperino Paperotto"?
Well, I happened to like this "Witch" better than anything he has
previously made for Disney Italia.

> Hey, great rock band you've got there, nice tunes and all, but it's
> nothing like Mozart, so why don't you just pack your gear and close
the
> door behind you.

There are many "things" like mozart, even in "Rock bands" :-)

--
Sprea
http://digilander.iol.it/sgrizzo (Scarpa)