Real streets in "Vacation Time" (VP 1) and "In Old California" (OS 328)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 21 17:14:45 CEST 2001

On April 8, 2001, Rob Klein wrote about Hollywood streets being
mentioned in Barks' "Vacation Time" (VP 1).

Here's a summary of the information he sent:

  In panel 2.4, Donald and the nephews are discussing the bad motor
  vehicle traffic congestion at the corner of Wilshire (Boulevard)
  and Vermont (Avenue). This is an intersection of streets in
  Hollywood, California.

(Please let me know if this summary is incorrect, Rob.)

Last year, someone wrote to me that "In Old California" (OS 328)
also is a story in which Barks mentioned street names:

  Many of the California streets and locations have been given Spanish
  names, like Sepulveda Boulevard; Verdugo Hills, San Fernando Valley,
  San Buena Ventura. In panel 3 of page 11, Barks pulled our legs with
  this Hispanic penchant, christening the father of lovely Panchita
  with a string of place names. "Fiesta?" asks Tina. "Why you think
  Don Gaspar Fernando Ignacio de Sepulveda y Verdugo y Buenaventura
  gives a fiesta?"

I'm wondering how many more of such "hidden" gags can be found in
Barks' stories.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel