DCML digest, Vol 1 #496 - 15 msgs

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Mon Apr 23 12:30:58 CEST 2001

Harry:
> Indeed! Welcome here!
Thank you!

> I think this is a general thing. In my youth, I had the opposite: I grew up
> with the weeklies (in Holland), and considered the pocket books crap stuff.
> Even a few years ago, when we started Inducks, I didn't think it was
> necessary to index all the Italian junk! 8-)

Actually, this is not what happened to me. I liked these Egmont by Vicar,
Branca, Tello et cet. when I was little, but got bored with them. Italian
stories had so much more action than Egmont stories. So now I'm trying to
cut down reading Egmont stories so I might get that old spark back.

> Since then, I became a fan of Scarpa (or a "ventilator of Shoe"), and I
fell
> in love with the artwork of Cavazzano. I'm in the process of recognising
> (and enjoying) Bottaro, Carpi, and Massimo de Vita.
> (And I'm still hating the work of Perego and P.L. De Vita...)
Now, this sounds like a healthy young man ;-)

> I think the origin was a reader's investigation, which showed that readers
> didn't like the "boring" Mickey stories where he is a detective, in the
> Murry/Tello style.
Hmmm, they didn't ask me...

> Egmont was smart enough to use the *best* artists for these stories, like
> Ferioli!

Yes, he is good enough, but I just can't stand the trousers. I am
constantly amazed how they can ruin a perfectly good story and art for me.
Mayby I associate them with some childhood trauma or something? :-)

> > It's not the Mickey I grew with.
>
> Same problem again! 8-)
> Did you ever read the good Gottfredson stories from the mid- to late 1930s?
> They should give you the atmosphere and characters that Egmont is re-using
> (or trying to). I see that same atmosphere in the Tintin comics.

Yes, I have read many of the Gottfredson strips. Indeed, at the moment I'm
waiting for a packet that contains a lot of strips from 1930-33 and a book
I, Goofy (the big white book). The problem is that I got my first
experiance with Gottfredson when my Disney interest was subsiding. It just
wasn't cool to be 14 and a Disney-fan. So I didn't get to know he's works
too well at that time. Lately I have reread all Gottfredson stories I
already have (two big white books and one with strips from late 40's) and
learned to appreciate them.
The problem as I see it (other then my nostalgic mind) is that Gottfredson
stories were long and massive and today's Mickey stories are only some 10
pages long. They don't have the same feel of adventure as the old ones
have. I would love to have a resurrection of daily strips with a continous
plot.

> I guess you can't say much about Dutch comics either. 8-)
> There are some very good Hiawatha stories from the 1960s. At least *I* think
> they are very good - I grew up with them... 8-)

Oh heck, I totally forgot the Dutch stories. Sorry! I like them. When they
started to print them in the weekly, I was just ecstatic. They brought
that something new that I had missed for so long. The great thing is that
they started to publish a supplement to Aku Ankka (Kuukauden sarjisekstra)
that nowadays contains Dutch stories and occasionally a short Gottfredson
story. Most of these stories haven't been published anywhere but in
Holland and Finland (according to Inducks), so we in Finland are at great
position with Dutch stories.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
"Elämä muodostaa komplekseja."