Howard's Swell Fugazi Snafu ! Doggone It !!!!!!!

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 20:39:59 CEST 2001

...Marvel's Howard The Duck did get some legal threats
from Disney during the time of his initial big success
, which led to Marvel agreeing to change his
appearance...both in clothing and in his actual look ,
I guess - in his later appearances - He's never looked
as distinctive/interesting
since , IMHO .
  ( This , now , is AWFULLY tangential , and deals
with a newspaper comic strip that , for all I know ,
may not be published outside the U.S. , but , hey .
The syndicated strip " Mallard Fillmore " , also
features an anthomorphic duck in an otherwise human
world . When it started , I thought that he looked a
great deal like the latter-day , post-revised
appearance Howard , then , after a few months , they ,
as I recall seemed to revise Mallard's looks a little
bit...Admittedly , I guess there's not a whole lot of
ways to , in standard terms , depict " humanized duck
" in a commercial comic , especially with the specter
- in the mind , anyway ! - of Di$ney waiting to swoop
down on you/get medevial(sic!) on
yo' a$$ !!!!!!!!! )
  " Snafu "s already been mentioned ,
another " F___ed-Up "
term is " FUBAR " , " F____d " - " Fouled " , of
course , of course !!!!!!!!! - " Up Beyond All
Recognition " ( or , given the likely? military origin
,
" Recognizance " ? )...which Unca Don Rosa hisself
uesta use in his " RBCC Information
Center " years !!!!!!!!! " Drastic fubar " ,
more specifically . " Fugazi " is a more recent one ,
Vietnam-derived I believe ( in U.S. terms , I mean ,
of course . ) , and I didn't become aware of it 'till
the post-hardcore band by that name came along , using
it .
  " Doggone " is , indeed ,  from " God Damn " ,
I believe .  Rememer the Smokey Robinson co-written
song " I'll Be Doggone " , from about 1965 ? Fairly
old
then , already .
  The joke re: " swell " reminds me of this old joke
( that I recall seeing in a Henry Boltinoff DC filler
strip , ) about a grandma/auntie telling her kid "
There's two words I want you to promise never to use -
One is ' swell ' , and the other is ' lousy ' "
To which the kid replied...