Oak Island

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Apr 29 20:28:41 CEST 2001

OLAF SOLSTRAND, 16-04-2001:

> I'm quite sure my next story will be a story where $crooge, Donald and
> HD&L goes to Oak Island to search for the treasure which is hidden there
> (I need some more research on that story, I'm not 100% updated on the
> Oak Island mystery),

I'm told that a Duck story about the Oak Island theme already has been
published. I have no idea where and when, though. (Is there someone here
who remembers having read that story? I've never seen it myself.)

This was at the time, possible in 1995/1996, when I suggested the Oak
Island mystery as story idea to Dutch scripter Frank Jonker. As the Dutch
weekly mostly seems to be interested in Dutch stories of about 4 to 10
pages, I don't know if Frank still considers Oak Island as a story idea.
(I even don't know if Frank knows that there already seems to be a
published Oak Island story.) I can ask him about it, if you're interested.

I look at the Oak Island theme as being a very difficult one, because the
island's history itself already seems to be a comic book story. In the
early 1990s, I read about Oak Island in a Dutch 1970s book about unsolved
mysteries. As the book already was about 20 years old, I thought that the
mystery must have been solved in the mean time, but then I saw a TV
documentary which very much surprised me. According to this documentary
the island was STILL full of competing frustrated treasure hunters having
claims on the island! So, I'm very curious how this situation is today,
about ten years later.

According to the 1970s book there has never really been proof of a treasure
actually being hidden on the island. At least until that time, treasure
hunters only have managed to find one small piece of gold (from a
neck-lace?).

As most treasure hunters got bankrupt, my story idea suggestion was about
Scrooge loosing a fortune in his endless attempts to find the mysterious
treasure. Like a gambler, who keeps on believing that his next coin might
be the one that finally gives him the jackpot. (Resulting in a LOT of coins
being that very next coin, but NONE of them resulting in getting the
jackpot.)

Maybe there are internet sites with up-to-date information about the
history of Oak Island? Sites about unsolved mysteries or lost treasures,
for example?

Best wishes,

--- Daniel