DCML digest #625

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Aug 5 14:47:17 CEST 2001

From: "Eero-Pekka Halinen" <e_halinen at hotmail.com>
>>>How did he have time to do that? The queues must be a LOT shorter than
in
Finland, if he has time to make self-portraits of people.

I always have limitless time to make self-portraits of people in lines. It
would simply involve handing them a pencil and paper and saying "go to it".
One can only make a self-portrait of one's *self*. I drew a scribble of my
own puss for Arthur... a self-portrait (self-scribble?)... but I would
still have found some excuse *not* to if I hadn't known he was a ML and
DUCKhunt member. I wouldn't have done that for everyone in line because
it's more fun to draw Barks' Ducks, and also much quicker because I've
*trained* myself to draw certain views of Duck faces really quick so people
don't need to wait any longer than I can help it. (It really makes me
uneasy, seeing those long lines of people waiting for ME... and yet I don't
want to seem to brush them off when they reach me... it's a stressful job,
but it's still fun and energizing due to the pure and infectious enthusiasm
of comics fans in Europe. It's always like being transported back to an
American comic convention of 1969.)