Albums

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Thu Aug 9 17:00:44 CEST 2001

Hi all

As this is a froum for people who might be interested I post it here.
If the info can beused on a homepage about this, feel free to mail me.

The tradtiorn of comics albums is rather big in Europe. I want to talk
about the comic albums with duck-stories in.
At a point in the 70'es albums started to come out in Holland, a series
called The best stories of Donald Duck. - Simular albums came out in
Scandinavia. At least in the beginning they were simular.
The dutch albums had a barks-cover on the first issue, and then other
drawers took over the cover. This album-series is till going strong,
soon reaching no. 108 I think.
The danish series had Barks-covers on the first 10 albums and went on
untill album 38, having had 99 (if not 100) % of barks-stories in them.
I Norway the series reached album 45 or so, including some of the
Tresure-chest albums by Kabatek, and some albums that looked very
simular to some dutch ones (Golkden Helmet and The Lemming with the
Locket - two very nordic stories anyway). I think the series might even
have went on in some double albums also featuring Lucky Luke and other
album-charecters. Norwegians here will have to put a light on that.
I only know about the swedish album that they had about the same title
as the other ones I mentioned so far.

Another series began in Holland at some point - the Uncle Scrooge
albums. They started out publishing Barks-stories, if I got it right.
later they published at least one Milton stories and other stories, eg.
from Egmont and maybe even those kabatek-albums? Since no. 53 the
series has been featuring Don Rosa stories. Starting out with the
original Lo$-chapters, this time in the right order (different from the
order in the dutch extra, if I may be allowed to pint that out), they
later continued with stories related to the Lo$-chapters and now it's
chosen stories that are printed. The covers are mostly traced by some
artist from Rosa's original covers. (Baffles science!)

Germany is a case for itself. Klassik Albums since I don't know where.
They reached around 50 volumes and were maybe then stopped by the fact
that Ehapa started to publish the Barks Library in color.
Like Holland, Germany also started a Rosa-album series with the Lo$
chapters, though they didn't part chapter 8 and such, but put short
stories in the end of the albums. That album series is still carrying
on, but took a mayor break since the kalevala-story in album 25 and now
when the album 26 will soon (or have already) come out, featuring the
Coin, Attaaaack and 3 Cabelleroes if I got my info right.

On Faroe Islands Ehapa is publishing a faroe series of Barks Library.
Because of the price of such a publication the series is following the
german one
in numbers, making album 1 on the faroes correspond to a later german
album.
I have two of these because of nice friends.

Spain (what, you ask?) There's a series which would be seen as albums
for me, called Olé Disney or something. This series published the Lo$
chapters some time ago. I saw some of the albums at Duco's house, and
especially the spalsh-panels were very cut but the editors. In the
chapter were the dedication was on a sixgun, the gun is moved so that
you can't see the dedication... baffles, well you know.

Greece. At least they published the Carl barks 10 * 10 with the 10
first 10-pagers by Carl Barks. Greek friends, tell me what more I can
consider albums in Greece.

Italy: Should I consder any of the overmore wonderful publications in
Italy as albums??

Gladstone albums sadly stopped, though they published both GCA's Barks
Library, 8 Rosa albums and some van Horns, and I guess the series would
have continued with the JW-stories, Grandma, Daisy Duck and other
things.

A. C. Sivebaek
acsive at mail.mira.dk