Swedish in Finland

Petri Kanninen pkanninen at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:51:07 CEST 2001

HARRY:
>How many Swedish-speaking people are there in Finland? (Or maybe they >are
>"officially" non-existant?)

Actually everyone in Finland should speak Swedish because it's mandatory at
school. ;-)

>Related question: does the Swedish Kalle Anka get published in Finland?

Sure does, at least at the coast where the largest Swedish-speaking
population is. Here in Helsinki you can buy Kalle Anka and Kalle Ankas
Pocketbok even in every bigger foodstore. If you go to a bookstore you find
also other Swedish Disney comics, for example the golden books, a 100-pages
long pocketbook and some albums. From the biggest bookstore (Akateeminen
kirjakauppa) you can also find few German publications. One of them was a
really nice suprise. It is called Die göttliche Entenkömedie (The Divine
Duckcomedy) and it contains the famous Italian story L'inferno di Topolino
(I TL    7-A). All those years learning German were useful after all. :-)
But then again in Lahti where my parents live (100km inland from Helsinki),
there is no Swedish comics available (because almost no one speaks Swedish
as his/hers mother tongue there).