DCML digest, Vol 1 #638 - 1 msg

Michael Dewally wallygator at ou.edu
Mon Aug 20 00:54:14 CEST 2001

Of said Exposition, here's what future president Teddy Roosevelt had to say
in a June 8, 1893 letter to James Brander Matthews, editor of Atlantic
Monthly:

"The buildings make, I verily believe, the most beautiful architectural
exhibit the world has ever seen. If they were only permanent! That south
lagoon, with the peristyle cutting off from the lake, the great terraces,
the grandeur and beauty of the huge white buildings, the statue, the fine
fountains, the dome of administration building, the bridges guarded by
colossal animals - well, there is simply nothing to say about it. And the
landscape effects are so wonderful. In the fine-arts building, by the way,
did you not like the "Death arresting hand of the sculptor," and the "Peace
Sign," the quiet pose of the naked warrior on the naked horse?"

Yet, he does not mention the works of Westinghouse, Edison, Krupp and
Carnegie that were displayed and missed Frederick Jackson Turner, President
Cleveland and the Spanish Infante and a few heirs of Columbus.

Info from "TR The Last Romantic" by H.W. Brands.