Daisy's family

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Aug 23 12:34:16 CEST 2001

ANDERS CHRISTIAN:

>> It doesn't make Donald and Daisy have an illegal relationship that
>> Donald's sister is married to Daisy's brother.

I don't know about the U.S. (or Denmark for that matter), but in Greece,
a marriage between Donald and Daisy under these circumstances would
be considered incestuous and would not be permitted. The only way two
siblings would be allowed to marry two other siblings in Greece, would
be if they got married at the same time.

>> Incest. Maybe people from Kentucky can tell you all about it.
> I'm not sure that's the word - or maybe my english vocabulary in head is
> just bad.
> In Denmark we make a difference between incest - a grown-up doing
> freadfull things to a minor

This is paedophilia. The word is Greek, literally meaning "love for
children", which is obviously a euphimism, as love for children is one of
the noblest of emotions. [The non-euphimistic Greek word is "paederasty",
but it doesn't quite mean the same thing in English. Look it up if you
really want to know.]

> and blood-shame (?) being a (sexual)
> relationship between brother and sister or the like

And this is, as Harry mentioned, incest.

> I remember from ancient greek class in danish High School that a classmate
> realised the Gods Zeus and Hera had a blood-shame (?) relationship.

An incestuous relationship. Hera was, indeed, both Zeus's sister and
his wife, a fact which Greeks never attempted to hide. I guess that
this is similar to the situation with the royal houses of Europe, where
everybody is everybody else's cousin, uncle, or nephew.  [*Why* does
this suddenly remind me of the ducks? :-)] When the choice is limited
[and in Zeus's case it was extremely limited], incest becomes inevitable.

        Kriton  (e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
                (WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I don't make threats; but I *do* keep promises!"
-----