Fabio: Mo' Teddy !

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 20:25:15 CEST 2001

  I only saw the T.R. query in the digest , and Don
may well have already have sent his reply by then .
He's so much more enotional and feeling-filled in his
reply - I tend to be a bit of a " let's not get
anybody TOO OFFENDED at me " type , just the type , no
doubt , ( the popular conception of ) TR would
rcommend for time on a ranch or something ! - In fact
, " popular conception "-wise , it occured to me that
the IMAGE of TR is pretty irresistable , it would seem
to me , for a cartoonist - Those teeth ! That
cigarette holder ! ( or am I confusing him on that
with F.D.R. ????? )      Those glasses ! - to draw .
Anyway , even leaving that aside , Don's enthusiasm
shows through .
  ( Especially since living in San Francisco , with
its large Filipino-American population , ) The fact
that , as Don puts it , he might be seen as " an
maniacal imperialist " by today's standards was
brought home to me by Philipino objections regarding
the American conquest of the Philippines during and
after the Spanish-American War that I have read .(
Which started under his predecessor , who he succeded
after an assasination , McKinley , anyway . ) But , as
Don indicates , ways of thinking change over the years
. Perhaps that's being wishy-washy .
  I guess I'd agree with Don that many Americans today
are fairly unconcerned with/ignorant of history .
  Oh , the distant relationship of TR to FDR
( " Second cousin twice removed " or something ? )
reminds me - And , since we're talkimg about " cousins
" , recently - the ( WWII-age ) Anerican writer Gore
Vidal is , according to his own account of things ,
the same family position in relation to Al Gore that
TR was to FDR ( Perhaps I am overdoing the initials
here , but , " Teddy " and " Franklin " seem a touch
too informal ! ) - According to Vidal , he hasn't been
in the same room with Al since Al was an infant .
Fairly(?) OT , I guess , but...