Increasingly ot incest musings (not an obvious topic for a Disney list)

Stephan Packard sPackard at gmx.de
Mon Aug 27 00:32:25 CEST 2001

Hi,

> From: WL Lilly <liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com>
>   Stephan: This whole revelation about Greek/Southern
> Eur. in general attitudes towards unrelated
> cousin/cousin marriage has been quite infornative for
> ne !!!!!!!!! I assune you're German ? I guess that
> within-already-existing-families  first cousin - or
> even second cousin ? - marriages would be out , in
> Greece/SU as well ?

Yes, I'm German. Well, one half German, one half English and
a bit of French thrown in for good measure, but I have spent
almost my whole life in Germany.

I, too, was surprised to hear about those Greek laws, and so I
don't know what they'd say about first or second cousins; but
if my attempt at explaining the background of such traditions
is valid, the first marraige not to be banned should be the first
that introduces new loyalty: So, if a first cousin feels, say,
financially responsible to support his relative in Greece, then
he ought not be allowed to marry, since that marriage would
not introduce new strings to their social network. However,
this might well be muddled if the law is more like an
obsolete reminder of earlier tarditions; that Kriton was
surprised to find out about the law makes this probable.

What I wonder is: What do Greek authorities do when
confronted with two marriages between two/two siblings that
were forged outside of Greece, say in another EU country, or
abroad in the States? Would they recognise both marriages as
valid for their own laws?

And as long as nobody stops our ot thoughts: What do "usual"
(ie, blood-related) incest laws say about homosexual
marriages that are now allowed in an increasing number of
EU countries? (Germany, give us three cheers, has just adopted
such marriages a few weeks ago.) If it's only the danger of
reinforced genetical mishaps, then two brothers or two sisters
should be allowed to marry, right?

All the best,
Stephan