Dumbo and Barks

Halvor Sandven Halvor_Sandven at no.mailandnews.com
Mon Jun 11 10:27:05 CEST 2001

Hello!

As you know, Barks didn't write all the stories he drew. Re-reading some old
norwegian weeklies, I came across a story published in number 7 in 1961. This
was a Grandma Duck-story, also starring HDL and Gus Goose. What's a bit
unusual, is that the story also includes Brer Fox and Dumbo! Dumbo is hired by
the boys as the new scarecrow, but Brer Fox who wants to steal the corn
dresses up as the old scarecrow's ghost (!) and tries to scare Dumbo away. The
code is W OS 1010.

I like to consider Barks and Rosas stories as what really happened to the
ducks, and other stories as some sort of 'alternative reality', not to say
that I may often find these stories very enjoyable. I'm a bit unsure what to
make of stories like this one. Should Dumbo be included in Barks universe, and
is it right that HDL know this character? I find this a bit strange. Maybe
stories drawn by Barks and written by others (in this case Vic Lockman) also
should be considered 'alternative reality'-stories? Comments anyone?

Halvor Sandven